The County of San Diego is now offering grants to small businesses and restaurants suffering financial losses due to COVID-19. The Board of Supervisors approved a new small business stimulus program at last Tuesday’s board meeting. For-profit and nonprofit businesses are eligible for the grant money if they can show their losses are a direct result of the pandemic.
To qualify, businesses must have 100 or fewer employees, be headquartered in San Diego County, and have been operating for at least one year as of Feb. 14, 2020. They will also need documentation of financial hardship because of COVID-19.
Previously, the board had approved using $17 million in CARES Act Coronavirus Relief funds to help restaurants and small businesses, and Tuesday, July 7, is when the supervisors approved the implementation of the program. The county urges businesses to apply early. Applications are available now through Oct. 16, but they are subject to available funding. For more information and to apply, visit: www.sandiegocounty.gov/stimulusgrant/.
Glad to see that San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer recognized that restaurants employee more than 55,000 people in San Diego which he says is more than the U.S. Navy employs in the region. His executive order allowing more outdoor dining options will give restaurants more options to enact important safety measures and be able to stay open and keep workers employed.
The main San Diego Swinerton office will be hosting a blood drive on July 23. Swinerton Vice President Mark Payne has announced the annual blood drive partnering with the San Diego Blood Bank stating the drive is more important now more than ever. To maintain social distancing, walk-ins are not allowed this year so signups are being taken online under mobile drives at Swinerton at the blood bank website: www.sandiegobloodbank.com.
When ingenuity meets chocolate, I appreciate it. Although Comic-Con had to be cancelled this year due to COVID-19, the San Diego Convention Center has announced it is continuing its tradition of producing chocolate bars to celebrate the annual event. This year they are introducing a limited-edition 2020 chocolate bar to be shared via social media contests. Each bar will have a Saturday morning cartoon theme and feature white chocolate, fruit flavored cereal, and freeze-dried raspberries The bars are created in partnership with the center’s food and beverage partner, Centerplate.
“As their annual hosts, we are glad to join the Comic-Con team in continuing some traditions of this pop culture celebration, like our ‘Convention Con-fections,” said Clfford “Rip” Rippetoe, president and CEO of the convention center.
The chocolate bars will be distributed to fans through a series of online contests held today through July 17, 2020, via the center’s Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts. None will be for sale. Contest details are also being shared through social media and its website.
For the first time in its 50-year history, Comic-Con is not taking place in person this summer due to COVID-19. However, they will be hosting a virtual event, Comic-Con@Home on the same dates as the cancelled gathering, July 22-26. The chocolate bar theme this year connects to the watch from home experience.
According to the convention center, in 2019, the Centerplate team created more than 4,000 chocolate bars over four days selling out each day. More information about Comic-Con@Home may be found on Comic-Con.org or by following social media at #ComicConAtHome. The 2021 Comic-Con is scheduled to take place at the convention center from July 22-25, 2021.