67.4 F
San Diego
Sunday, Jul 21, 2024
-Advertisement-

La Maestra Centers Plan Groundbreaking for New Facility By 2008

La Maestra Community Health Centers is going for the gold.

The organization with facilities in four southern San Diego locations is planning to build an environmentally friendly facility by 2008.

The project in City Heights is set to break ground in the fourth quarter and is striving for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, or LEED, designation from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Alexei Ochola, board member of La Maestra, said the new location will replace the current cluster of facilities on Fairmount Avenue, which consists of 13 buildings on six parcels.

The organization has raised $11.4 million of the $19.2 million cost.

The 35,000-square-foot community health center will incorporate energy saving materials and systems, roof-mounted solar panels, extensive use of recycled, regionally extracted or manufactured materials, extensive natural day lighting and a unique educational feature.

The clinic anticipates installing an information kiosk in the lobby to provide visitors with information about the building features and real-time reporting of energy usage and renewable energy output.

Currently, La Maestra Community Heath Centers serves 200 patients a day. Its staff of doctors, dentists, nurses, counselors and social workers speak 19 languages to serve the area’s ethnically diverse community.

The new clinic will also provide job training services, housing assistance, food pantry, acculturation training and classes in financial literacy for area residents.

– – –


Environmentally Friendly Homes:

Solara, the first apartment community in the state to be fully powered by the sun, is scheduled to host a grand opening celebration June 5. The 56-unit affordable apartment and mixed-use complex on Community Road in Poway has dozens of rooftop solar arrays.

These panels produce sufficient electricity to power the entire residential complex and, on some days, provide surplus electricity for the region’s power grid.

Residents began moving into the complex in early spring. The green project was developed using energy efficient materials and appliances, and recycled materials.

Community HousingWorks, Solara’s local developer, reported that the project has the lowest carbon footprint of any apartment complex in the state, 95 percent lower than a conventionally powered community, avoiding more than 1,800 tons of carbon dioxide each year. That is equivalent to planting 5,446 trees or taking 300 cars off the road annually.

– – –


A Major Merge:

Grubb & Ellis Co. and NNN Realty Advisors Inc. announced May 22 that they’ve agreed to merge.

The merger, which has been approved by both boards of directors, creates a real estate services company with a total capitalization of $725 million.

The transaction is expected to close in the third or fourth quarter.

Following the merger, Santa Ana-based NNN Realty stockholders will own 59 percent of the combined company and Grubb & Ellis stockholders the remaining 41 percent.

The company will retain the Grubb & Ellis name and will continue to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol GBE.

Grubb & Ellis has offices and affiliates in 90 markets, including a strong presence in San Diego. The local affiliate, Grubb & Ellis|BRE Commercial, was founded in 1986 and has offices in Carlsbad, downtown, Otay Mesa and University Towne Center.


Send real estate news to Michelle Mowad at

mmowad@sdbj.com

. She may also be reached at (858) 277-6359, ext. 3109.

-Advertisement-

Featured Articles

-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-

Related Articles

-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-