80.2 F
San Diego
Tuesday, Jul 23, 2024
-Advertisement-

Burgeon Beer to Open Vista Taproom

BREWERIES: ‘Highest Growth’ Year To Date for Company

Carlsbad-headquartered Burgeon Beer Company is expanding into what has become a huge hub of craft breweries – Vista.

Burgeon Beer, founded in 2016 by longtime friends and 2005 La Costa Canyon High School graduates Matthew Zirpolo, Anthony Tallman and Derek van Leeuwen, will be moving into an 1,820-square-foot commercial space on South Santa Fe Avenue later this year.

The site will be in downtown Vista’s Paseo Artist Village – a pedestrian-friendly and transit-oriented mixed-use affordable development and gateway to the city’s arts and culture district – just off state Route 78.

Burgeon is an award-winning brewery with tasting rooms in Escondido and Little Italy in San Diego. It has a brewery and tasting room as well as a separate private events space in Carlsbad.

Matthew Zirpolo
Co-founder, Burgeon Beer Company

Burgeon Beer has experienced tremendous growth over the years and says it exceeded its original 7-year goal within the first three years of business. The original goal was to brew more than 4,000 barrels by the seventh year (2024) and Burgeon hit that mark at the end of 2019, according to Zirpolo, the company’s president.

He said that in the first two years, Burgeon doubled in growth and since then has seen a solid 20% year-over-year.

The Burgeon brew team is on track to exceed 8,000 barrels of beer, or nearly 1 million pints, this year. It’s the company’s highest growth and production, year-to-date, says Mackenzie Kline, the company’s marketing director.

Zirpolo said that 30% of its beer is sold in its retail spaces (taprooms and restaurants) and that Burgeon self-distributes the remaining 70% to accounts across San Diego County (restaurants, bars, bottle shops and grocery stores).

“It took us three years to build our business plan, raise capital for the initial investment, and build our brewery and taproom in Carlsbad,” he said. “Since then, our growth has been 100% organic and funded by the capital we self-generated. We use our success to fund other projects. With our growth meeting demand, we’ve been fortunate to grow steadily and avoid over-leveraging.”

Zirpolo said that the new tasting room is the culmination of years of searching for the right location in Vista.

“Vista has been on our radar since the early stages of planning the brewery, and we were close to opening there originally but the location fell through,” he said. “Since then, Burgeon has expanded to four locations across San Diego County and we have watched downtown Vista evolve into a vibrant shopping, dining and entertainment district that we can’t wait to be part of. Our goal is to immerse ourselves in the Vista community, establish a core customer base, continue to evolve our craft and give back to the local community.”

Vista, the city of about 100,000 in North County is the epicenter of “Hops Highway,” the 60-mile stretch of highway 78 stretching from Oceanside to Julian, and one of the most concentrated areas for craft breweries in San Diego County. According to the San Diego Brewers Guild website, there are about 20 craft breweries currently in Vista.

Burgeon’s new dog-friendly taproom in Vista will be supplemented by 300 square feet of outdoor patio space that will allow for a total capacity of about 100 guests. The menu will include 18 taps of Burgeon core beer favorites and special releases. Burgeon Beer will partner with local eateries and food trucks to provide on-site food options.

Burgeon Beer Company

FOUNDED: 2016
CO-FOUNDERS: Anthony Tallman, Matthew Zirpolo, Derek van Leeuwen
PRESIDENT: Matthew Zirpolo
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS: Derek van Leeuwen
HEAD BREWER: Anthony Tallman
HEADQUARTERS: Carlsbad
BUSINESS: Craft Brewery
EMPLOYEES: 45 (five locations)
WEBSITE: burgeonbeer.com
CONTACT: 760-814-2548
SOCIAL IMPACT: Burgeon has donated more than $150,000 to more than 200 local charities and nonprofits, and has planted more than 25,000 trees with the National Forest Foundation and restored more than 2,500 square feet of kelp forest with SeaTrees.
NOTABLE: Burgeon Beer’s menu in Vista will include 18 taps of core beer favorites and special releases.

-Advertisement-

Featured Articles

-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-

Related Articles

-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-
-Advertisement-